Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Controlled chaos theory

I have a theory. If EVERYTHING has a place and is kept in it, I will hesitate to mess things up by creating. Alternatively, if NOTHING is put away I will have tremendous difficulty finding what I need. Indeed, I would use up all my limited foot time just gathering the materials and have no time left for the art part.

So, Controlled Entropy seems to be the solution. I'm moving toward that.
My cloth is (mostly) in bins, and I will only pull it out when doing a major project. My knitting materials all fit in a big carpet bag, I'm doing more of that these days. Then there's all the interesting bits, for collage art. I could really use more space to store all the interesting bits.

That's a problem in a room as small as my studio. If I didn't sell things on Ebay, I'd have much more room, but then again, I wouldn't have money for art supplies.
I have my paints in a drawer, anything sharp in another drawer, ribbons have a drawer, as do threads... as do my lovely bits of broken rhinestone jewelry.. so there IS sort of a system in place... Of course, I have no work space just now, maybe that should be next on my agenda.. Its hard to have things stored away and still be able to see the stuff and spark ideas.. I've seen artists with huge garages full of shelves and bits and bobs they find and buy and trade for... Heaven, but impractical, until we move.

I could of course reduce the mumber of art media I work with..
Naaaaahhh...
I think for my own sanity and satisfaction, I need to look at organizing my arts supplies as a process rather than a goal. Yeah.. THAT'S the ticket!

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I love the beautiful hummingbird and fabulous fabrics you have used in this block!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Diana Troldahl said...

Thanks! It's meant to represent the element "air" :-}

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ysabeau said...

I love the hummingbird center, is that a fabric or an embroidery? You also give the impression of lots of movement in your choice of fabrics, which I really like for the theme. B*B, Ysabeau

11:49 PM  
Blogger Diana Troldahl said...

Its fabric, with an overlay of sparkly tulle.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home